Job title: Senior Operational Assurance Officer
Location: Milton Keynes
We are currently recruiting for a Risk & Controls Quality Assurance Officer to join our growing team in Milton Keynes.
Gatehouse Bank plc is a Shariah-compliant challenger bank based in London and is part of the Gatehouse Financial Group of companies. It is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority. Founded in 2008, the Bank operates in accordance with Shariah principles and offers savings products and finance for UK commercial and residential real estate, in addition to sourcing and advising on UK real estate investments with a focus on the build to rent sector.
- Support the heads of business lines and Operations to develop Key Risk Indicators (KRIs) and risk appetite metrics with divisions in accordance with bank’s Risk Appetite.
- Working with Operational Risk in the Risk function, quality assure Risk & Control Self Assessments.
- Be responsible for building, developing and maintaining effective relationships with stakeholders in the businesses and counterparts in other functions such as 2LoD.
- Enhance the bank’s control framework by carrying out assurance of control testing across functions, including Operations and Sales.
- Lead junior staff (reporting to this position) in monitoring bank-wide operational processes, including their adequacy and effectiveness.
- Test adherence to policies and risk appetite including escalation via appropriate channels, including supporting the introduction of a process for timely reporting to the Second Line of Defence (2LoD).
- Assess the risks associated with 1LoD business line activities and assist in compiling and maintaining a complete control framework for risk management activities. Support the business lines and functions to identify risks from within the First Line.
- Undertake quality reviews, taking a risk-based approach, as part of a 1LoD assurance framework. This could include thematic reviews, regular testing of key controls, independent validation of Quality Controls and Assurance activities performed by the businesses or other methodologies as needs dictate.
- Monitor output from all 1LoD areas to identify potential operational risks and, where possible, ensure appropriate mitigating actions are in place, including recommendations for remediation, improvement of controls, staff training or coaching. Proactively identify process improvement/best practice and share as appropriate.
- Assure remediation of control failures and compliance breaches. Test complaints logging & handling.
- Produce high quality reports/presentation packs for sharing with key stakeholders; Maintain a full audit trail with clear records to support review conclusions, stored in accordance with the bank’s records management convention
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint as a minimum)
- Knowledge of UK banking (Customer Service, Credit. Financial Crime, Operations) and risk management & controls principles appropriate to the three lines of defence model
- Understanding of and compliance with group policies including Conduct Risk
- Excellent attention to detail with a ‘can do’ attitude and strong team skills
- Ability to think creatively when resolving problems and/or identify alternatives where established procedures may not exist, ensuring an improved customer experience
- Strong communication (written and oral) and organisational skills
- Able to work under pressure, whether alone or as part of a small team
- Willingness to challenge, collaborate and adapt
- A professional and well-presented self-starter requiring Leadership skills, including the ability to manage risk, compliance and control activities.
- Considerable knowledge and experience of best practice and governance frameworks, methodologies, and emerging practice, in relation to the UK regulated financial services context.
- Skilled communicator with the ability to influence and motivate others.
- Ability to exercise oversight over governance, risk, compliance and control arrangements for the Direct Finance activities.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills, with the ability to analyse complex information to identify the key issue/action and drive resolution.
- Knowledge and understanding of risk control arrangements.
- Knowledge of regulatory environment and key regulatory regimes.
- Demonstrable understanding of Regulatory requirements and Conduct rules (CONC, COBS, BCOBS, MCOB, SYSC, DISP)
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Understanding of Islamic Banking products such as Home Purchase Plans.
We offer highly attractive reward package; the typical benefits include:
- 25 days holiday entitlement increasing with service
- Pension Plan
- Private medical insurance
Gatehouse Bank is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
To apply, please send your CV to Careers@gatehousebank.com